What is hydrotherapy?
Physiotherapy that takes place in water is known as hydrotherapy. The water-walker in our Holmes Chapel clinic allows your dog to exercise on a treadmill whilst some or all of its weight is supported by the water. We regularly take referrals for our ‘Water Walker’, our in-house canine hydrotherapy suite.
What are the benefits?
Hydrotherapy is useful for a wide variety of conditions:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Spinal injuries and paralysis
- Cruciate ligament problems
- Muscle wastage
- Rehabilitation after surgery, especially for conditions involving bones, ligaments or nerves
- Conditioning before surgery to improve muscle tone and blood flow to the injured site
- Weight management
- Improving heart and lung function
- Improving mobility in older dogs
- Increasing or maintaining fitness, stamina and muscle tone for working and show dogs
Our highly trained team devise a unique and specific hydrotherapy programme for each individual animal. Many insurance policies cover hydrotherapy and physiotherapy, where applicable we can help you to make your claim.
If you’d like to find out more, you’re very welcome to come and have a look, and we’ll do our best to answer any queries you may have.